retry_check_interval

Jordan jordan at advapro.com
Sat Jan 4 03:33:21 CET 2003

Ok, hopefully this won't be a dumb question.

Again, I'm monitoring a bunch of routers.  All I'm doing is pinging
them, so I've got 1 service per host, which does host-check-alive.

I've set the retry_check_interval to 1.
interval_length is set to 60.
max_check_attempts is set to 3.

Theoretically (without host checking enabled), it should wait 3 mintues
to generate an alert.  However, since host checking is enabled, whenever
the ping service fails, it automatically starts the host check.  I also
have the max_check_attempts for host checking set to 3, but there is no
option as to what the retry_check_interval could be for host checking,
so it just checks 3 in a row.  This pretty much hoses my logic for
checking services.  I've got many different customers with routers going
down and coming up, and I'm getting floods of e-mail notifications
because of it.  I'd like to, in the end, have a notification sent only
if the router has been down for 3 minutes straight (which is implimented
in the service checking, but hosed anyway since host checking overrides
service checking and lacks the retry_check_interval feature of the
service checking).  Any ideas on how I can resolve this?  I'm sure it's
probably something I'm doing wrong.  If it's not, the only thing I could
think of is doing an event handler that just sits for a minute or two
before checking again, but of course that could be hosed by
host_check_timeout, and also the regular interval of service checks...
It gets very confusing thinking about it all. =)

Thanks for any help,
Jordan