Quick "escalation" question

Chris Stankaitis chris.stankaitis at datawire.net
Fri Jan 3 21:19:05 CET 2003

is it necessary to define an escalation for EVERY Service of every host
in the escalation.cfg??  if I want all pages for all problems for a
specific box sent to the same contact group then can I get away with
just a host escalation?

If I don't define an escalation for say http on box #1 and it goes down
will no one get notified?? or will it just use the host escalation in
liew of the missing service escalation?

as far as Nagios is concern how does it deal with hosts vs. services?? I
am under the impression the only "host" check being done is the
check-hosts-alive as defined in the hosts.cfg so the bulk of what your
monitoring in nagios will be in the services.cfg I am monitoring much
more then ping...  so again, is only a host escalation sufficient to
trigger a notification in the event of a service failure?

I am monitoring over 300+ services on 80+ hosts so if I can get away
with only needing to have 80 host escalations rather then 300+ service
escalations + 80 host escalations I would welcome the cut down in time...

--Chris