nagios isn't running well

Eric Hill eric at spins.com
Fri Jan 3 20:46:25 CET 2003

Hi All,

I'm just getting started with Nagios on FreeBSD, and it's (or I'm) limping
out of the gate. I've set up two hosts, one with ping and http and one with
just ping. Nagios isn't seeing either of them and I've been wracking my
brain trying to figure out what is going on. Per the earlier message,
/sbin/ping is indeed suid root. I haven't been able to install
nagios-plugins from ports because it is broken somehow (both make and gmake
break), but I have the basic checks installed in nagios/libexec so I should
at least be able to set up basic hosts, right? Unfortunately, I get
notifications like "check_ping: %s: Warning threshold must be integer or
percentage!" or "CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds" (both for
ping). check_http gives "Socket timeout after 10 seconds" though (presumably
it's a port 80 check) this is our main corporate webserver. Could it
possibly be because I'm running Apache2 rather than 1.x? FreeBSD vs. Linux?
I'm going to have to choose something else if I can't figure this out. My
sense is that Nagios shouldn't be this finicky, but for me it is.

-eric

hosts.cfg
---------
# Generic host definition template
define host{
        ; The name of this host template - referenced in other host
definitions, used for template recursion/resolution
        name                            generic-host
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Host notifications are
enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Host event handler is
enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status information
across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts

        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL HOST, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }

# 'nt1' host definition
define host{
        use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
template to use
        host_name               comet
        alias                   Corp. File/Print Server
        address                 xx.xx.xx.xx
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        notification_interval   60
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        }

# 'linux1' host definition
define host{
        use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
template to use

        host_name               elguapo
        alias                   Linux Server #1
        address                 xx.xx.xx.xx
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        notification_interval   60
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        }

nagios.cfg
----------
log_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/checkcommands.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/misccommands.cfg

# You can split other types of object definitions across several
# config files if you wish (as done here), or keep them all in a
# single config file.

cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/contactgroups.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/contacts.cfg
#cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/dependencies.cfg
#cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/escalations.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hostgroups.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/services.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/timeperiods.cfg

resource_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/resource.cfg
status_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/status.log

nagios_user=nagios
nagios_group=nagios

check_external_commands=1
#command_check_interval=15s
command_check_interval=-1
command_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd

comment_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/comment.log
downtime_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/downtime.log
lock_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.lock
temp_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.tmp

#       n       = None - don't rotate the log
#       h       = Hourly rotation (top of the hour)
#       d       = Daily rotation (midnight every day)
#       w       = Weekly rotation (midnight on Saturday evening)
#       m       = Monthly rotation (midnight last day of month)
log_archive_path=/usr/local/nagios/var/archives
use_syslog=1

# If you don't want notifications to be logged, set this value to 0.
# If notifications should be logged, set the value to 1.

log_service_retries=1
log_host_retries=1
log_event_handlers=1
log_passive_service_checks=1

#global_host_event_handler=somecommand
#global_service_event_handler=somecommand

#       n       = None - don't use any delay between checks
#       d       = Use a "dumb" delay of 1 second between checks
#       s       = Use "smart" inter-check delay calculation
#       x.xx    = Use an inter-check delay of x.xx seconds
inter_check_delay_method=s

#       s       = Use "smart" interleave factor calculation
#       x       = Use an interleave factor of x, where x is a
#                 number greater than or equal to 1.

# being executed.

sleep_time=1

service_check_timeout=60
host_check_timeout=30
event_handler_timeout=30
notification_timeout=30
ocsp_timeout=5
perfdata_timeout=5

retain_state_information=1
state_retention_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/status.sav
retention_update_interval=60
use_retained_program_state=0
interval_length=60

use_agressive_host_checking=0
execute_service_checks=1
accept_passive_service_checks=1

enable_notifications=1

#host_perfdata_command=process-host-perfdata
#service_perfdata_command=process-service-perfdata

obsess_over_services=0
#ocsp_command=somecommand

# If you have problems with service checks never getting
# rescheduled, you might want to try enabling this option.
# Values: 1 = enable checks, 0 = disable checks
check_for_orphaned_services=1

check_service_freshness=1
freshness_check_interval=60
aggregate_status_updates=1
status_update_interval=15

enable_flap_detection=1
low_service_flap_threshold=5.0
high_service_flap_threshold=20.0
low_host_flap_threshold=5.0
high_host_flap_threshold=20.0

#       us              (MM-DD-YYYY HH:MM:SS)
#       euro            (DD-MM-YYYY HH:MM:SS)
#       iso8601         (YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS)
#       strict-iso8601  (YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SS)
date_format=us

illegal_object_name_chars=`~!$%^&*|'"<>?,()=
illegal_macro_output_chars=`~$&|'"<>

admin_email=helpdesk at spins.com
admin_pager=pagenagios

# EOF (End of file)

services.cfg
------------
# Generic service definition template
define service{
        ; The 'name' of this service template, referenced in other service
definitions
        name                            generic-service
        active_checks_enabled           1       ; Active service checks are
enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service checks are
enabled/accepted
        parallelize_check               1       ; Active service checks
should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major per
formance problems)
        obsess_over_service             1       ; We should obsess over this
service (if necessary)
        check_freshness                 0       ; Default is to NOT check
service 'freshness'
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Service notifications are
enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event handler is
enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status information
across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts

        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }

# Service definition
define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use

        host_name                       comet,elguapo
        service_description             PING
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  nt-admins
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c,r
        check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
        }

# Service definition
define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use

        host_name                       comet
        service_description             HTTP
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  nt-admins
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command                   check_http
        }

(etc...most cfg is stock)