hostextinfo network abstraction?

Stephen Cravey cravey at gotbrains.org
Fri Jan 3 12:48:32 CET 2003

I've been having a rough time getting my 2-D status maps looking sane. My
network has multiple redundancies built into it so I have a stack of
one-to-many and many-to-one relationships in various places. For instance,
nagios connects to router1, which connects to router2 and router3. Then,
router1, router2, and router3 all connect to the Internet (routers are
then parents for many hosts) all on different interfaces through
different providers.

The basic problem I'm having is that drawing status maps like this is a
minor nightmare so I've created a bogus router4 that is effectively an
abstraction of the Internet. The problem is that logically, it's a
consolidation of routers 1,2, and 3, but since it has to have an ip
address as a host, (it thinks it's router 3) if router3 goes down, as
parent of all the internet hosts, if one of them goes down, I don't get a
page even if they'd otherwise still be accessible.

Due to periodic and automatic routing table shifts, not to mention suprise
routing problems caused by our upstream providers, I can't set a given
router as a parent to a given remote host. And if I set ALL of the routers
as parents to a remote host, my status map looks like spaghetti and
becomes unuseable in most of its incarnations.

This is all ignoring the fact that nagios has problems mapping "many to
one to many", "one to many and some of those to one" as well as from "many
to random combinations of manys", but the first is MUCH less cluttered
than the later two. (Does this make sense?)

So the only way I can think to make the statusmaps look sane is to have
hostextinfo for a hostgroup that doesn't page me when it/they go down
(I've already got the individual routers configured) and lets everything
else work as normal.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to create an Internet abstraction
hostextinfo entry? Or any other way to deal with this? Please email me if
you need clarification on this and otherwise think you might be able to
help. Or if i've missed something the docs. ;)

-Stephen