Multiple parent hosts handling?

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Feb 28 21:36:05 CET 2003

(I thought I recently saw a page in the Nagios docs which addressed it, but
I can't find it now.)

Not sure what to tell you, other than it should work as you hope it will.

Having said that, if you find you don't get a satisfactory answer from the
list, you could do a quick mock-up of a test.  Create a couple of bogus
'hosts' which have IP addresses for nonexistent nodes.  Make those the
parents of a test host you have.

Once you've restarted Nagios, you should start getting notifications for the
bogus 'hosts'.  Go ahead and acknowledge them (or not).  Observe what (if
any) changes happen to the status of your test host.  Check out the Network
Outages.

Then try this:

- Bring down a service on your test host.  does Nagios acknowledge a problem
with the service?  Do you get a notification in this regard?  What happens
when you bring the service back up?

- Bring your test host down (ie, disconnect the network cable).  Does Nagios
acknowledge a problem with the host?  Do you get alerted to this fact?  What
happens when you bring the host back up (ie, reconnect the network cable)?

If you do decide to test this feature out, would you care to share the
results to the list?

jc