service checks

Tae Chong tae.chong at us.ubizen.com
Fri Feb 28 19:12:09 CET 2003

Earlier, I wrote in requesting assistance in figuring out how to restrict a global setting that I made to the 'service.cfg' file:

>>"Was wondering if someone could answer a question regarding the check_ssh
>>service.  I have set up the check_ssh under the service.cfg and set it to
>>check all the servers on our network - I've associated the wildcard " * ",
>>to the "host_name" variable.  The service check is working as expected; my
>>problem is that I have one or two Windows box's, that do not use that
>>service, so it generates a constant error.  Does anyone have an idea, how I
>>can set it up so that it ignores just the few Windows machine that I have,
>>checking for 'check_ssh'?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated."

Although, JC provided me with a solution (thanks, again JC), I could not use it with my current configuration settings.  But, I have found that using the, 'dependencies.cfg', I could pretty much do what I was looking to do - To still be able to use the " * " wildcard, in my service.cfg file, while just excluding the few Windows servers from the 'check_ssh' service - I hope someone can use this info.  Here, is a copy of what I put in the dependencies.cfg file (btw, remember to uncomment this configuration file, in your main nagios.cfg file):

define servicedependency{
            host_name                                     nt1
            service_description                        PING
            dependent_host_name                   nt1
            dependent_service_description      SSH
            execution_failure_criteria               o,w,u,c
            notification_failure_criteria             o,w,u,c
             }

With the settings outlined above, I have "PING" - the only check I want for my NT machines - as the dependent service, for which I've tied "SSH" to; as long as the NT server is pingable; for that matter, even if it fails, across the board, SSH will not be checked on the NT server.  I would have liked that the "SSH" check itself, not show up in the status window - it never checks for ssh, but leaves "PENDING" in the "STATUS" column; but, I can live with that.

-TS Chong