FreeBSD & Nagios with statusmap.cgi | How??

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Thu Feb 27 20:19:58 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 01:40:14PM +0100, Bas van der Veen wrote:
> You're right.
>
> I suppose there are too much *NIX and *BSD types around, and the last
> thing I expect is the Nagios developers being too busy keeping track
> of all used OSes instead of improving Nagios.
>
> Let's just say I was surprised I couldn't find (almost) anything about
> Nagios on FreeBSD. I thought FreeBSD was a commonly used OS, to my
> surprise there aren't much Nagios fans using it.
>
> If you'd like me to provide you with some info about the FreeBSD port,
> let me know... I'll see what I can do (please keep in mind that I have
> nothing to do with the ported install and that I mostly use RedHat
> Linux (up till now).

Please wrap your text at < 80 columns.

(This is not meant to be a rant, just educational.  All usage of the
 word "you" should be read as the general third person non-specific
 "you" and not as referring to any one individual person.)

The FreeBSD ports of both Netsaint and Nagios work so well that few
people have problems with it.  Therefore, you don't hear much about
FreeBSD specific Nagios problems on the mailing lists.

Just learn to use the FreeBSD ports and packages just like you have
already learned Debian's apt stuff and/or RedHat's RPM or whatever
package management system with which you may have familiarity.

A simple "cd /usr/ports; make search key=nagios;" will tell you that
there is in fact a port which will work.  It is not FreeBSD's or Nagios'
problem if you can't use the tools to which you have access.

lambert at laptop.lambertfam.org /usr/ports
14:09:27 Thu Feb 27 $ make search key=nagios
Port:   nagios-1.0
Info:   Extremely powerful network monitoring system
Maint:  blaz at si.FreeBSD.org
Index:  net
B-deps: freetype2-2.1.3_1 gd-1.8.4_6 jpeg-6b_1 libgnugetopt-1.2 png-1.2.5_1
R-deps: freetype2-2.1.3_1 gd-1.8.4_6 jpeg-6b_1 libgnugetopt-1.2 nagios-plugins-1.3.0.b2 perl-5.6.1_11 png-1.2.5_1

Port:   nagios-plugins-1.3.0.b2
Info:   Plugins for nagios
Maint:  blaz at si.FreeBSD.org
Index:  net
B-deps: autoconf213-2.13.000227_5 automake14-1.4.5_9 expat-1.95.6_1 gettext-0.11.5_1 gmake-3.80 libiconv-1.8_2 m4-1.4_1 perl-5.6.1_11
R-deps: perl-5.6.1_11

Port:   nrpe-1.7
Info:   Nagios Remote Plugin Executor
Maint:  paul at nerdlabs.com
Index:  net
B-deps:
R-deps: nagios-plugins-1.3.0.b2 perl-5.6.1_11

If you have a FreeBSD 4.x box you won't have the dependency on perl since
perl is still in the base install.

If you discover that any port is out of date, nudge the port maintainer
to update it.

lambert at laptop.lambertfam.org /usr/ports/net/nagios
14:01:04 Thu Feb 27 $ make maintainer
blaz at si.FreeBSD.org

If you can do the often simple task of updating the port to the new
version and including a diff -ur of the old port vs. your updated port
along with the nudge, it is more likely to be updated so it will benefit
everyone.  Most of the time, an update of a port is a simple change of
the version number in the Makefile and a rebuild of the distinfo MD5
hash of the original source file.  New ports can take more effort but
updating an existing port, for a non-gargantuan application such as
mozilla, gnome, kde, openoffice, ..., is generally simple.

lambert at lambertfam.org