Monitoring routers with accurate dependancies

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Thu Feb 27 19:13:06 CET 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Frank Sweetser wrote:

> I'm at an impasse here.  I've got a number of routers that need to be
> monitored, and I can't find a good way to represent them in nagios.
>
> I've looked through the mailing lists a bit, and the closest scenario that
> I can find is someone dealing with a multihomed host.  I'd rather not create
> a gaggle of hosts for each router.  I'd like to be able to create a single
> host with the circuitless IP for monitoring services on the router (checking
> routes, SNMP agent, etc) and a ping based service for checking the status of
> each of the other interfaces.  This would work fine, except that downstream
> nodes can't be made to depend upon a service.
>
> So does anyone have any suggestions how this could be configured?  Or is there
> any chance that in future versions, a host could be made to depend upon a
> service instead of another host?

For routers I tend to use either the loopback IP addr (if configured) or
the closest IP address to nagios under normal routing.

Prefer the loopback as it is a /32 addr in the routing table.

If your interface ip addr are a /30 or /31 then they should work similar
to the loopback.

Based on the above hostaddress, services are defined to check interfaces,
bgp connections, etc.

--

-sg