request for comments, blocking outages

Tom Welsh twelsh at square-box.com
Thu Feb 27 09:50:11 CET 2003

Say you have a series of boxes on your site and a bunch of routers and
switches, you have 2 contact groups defined "infrastructure" and
"support."

Now "infrastructure" looks after routers and switches, and "support"
looks after all boxes and applications. Everyone uses nagios as their
monitoring tool. Each group only seeing the boxes they are responsible
for.

I believe currently that if a switch goes down that makes part of the
"support" groups boxes fall off the net then they will not be able to
see the cause of the blocking outage as they are not part of the
infrastructure group whose equipment is causing the blocking outage.

Now this may not cause a prob if your infrastructure and support teams
are located in the same area, but, if they are located in separate
buildings then you may find you have two teams working on the problem.
Or at least one team phoning the other saying "hey infrastructure buddy,
I cant see my boxes what's up." This causing time loss to rectification.

I don’t think its possible as nagios is setup now, but I think it would
be a great enhancement if in the cgi.cfg file we had a directive that
you could add either a wildcard or groups to that would allow you to
define who could see blocking outages.