Nsca, passive service checks

Thomas thomas at blaster.dyndns.org
Sat Feb 22 12:01:26 CET 2003

Hi all,

I already use Nagios to monitor more than 50 distant hosts and 200
services form the office of my company. I would like to use a kind of
appliance to monitor distant networks. I think the best way to do it is
to use the passive service checks : nagios would be running on the
appliance and send service check results to the central monitoring
server who will handle notifications.

My problem is what would happen if a the connection between the central
server and the appliance is down (for example there could be a problem
of routing, or an IPSec VPN could fail) ? The nagios on the appliance
will still be working and monitoring the hosts on its side of the
network, and may be still connected to the public network  but won't be
abble to send the results to the central server.

The most important for me is not notifications, I know that there are
many ways to handle that, I could activate notification on the appliance
for example. My problem is that I need to keep track of all the
monitoring job that is done during the network breakdown. I need the
central server to known all what happened on the distant network during
breakdown when everything is repaired, in order to be abble to generate
reports. I can't have "holes" in my reports for the hosts and services
on the distant network.

Maybe I could program a kind of buffer that would send all service check
results after the breakdown ? Is this a good solution ? But I think that
nsca has a "MAX PACKET AGE" option that can't exceed 900 seconds. Maybe
it is possible to modify that at compile time ? Is there any other
solution ? What about copy/paste logs ?

I read the Nagios documentation very carefully but maybe I missed
something.

Thanks for your replies !

Thomas