question about service dependencies and templates

timwest at warwickshire.gov.uk timwest at warwickshire.gov.uk
Tue Feb 18 13:50:00 CET 2003

***** This e-mail is communicated in confidence. It is intended for the
recipient only and may not be disclosed further without the express consent
of the sender. *****

I'm using nrpe to monitor the status of various filesystems on several
machines on our network.

I have created the following service definition

define service {
     hostgroup_name host_group_a
     service_description root_filesystem
}

and

define service {
     hostgroup_name host_group_a
     service_description nrpe_active
}

Now I want to create a service dependency for root_filesystem on
nrpe_active without creating a separate entry for each filesystem on each
machine.

>From reading the documentation I can make root_filesystem dependent on
nrpe_active for all of the machines in host_group_a, but I only want it
dependent on nrpe on the machine with the filesystem.

The ability to add the same test to several hosts, just by changing the
contents of the host group is great, but if I have to add a separate entry
for the service dependency then takes that usefulness away.

Has anyone any ideas.

--
Tim West, CAMS ICT Services
Warwickshire County Council