Out of bounds return codes using current CVS Nagios

Phil Costelloe philc at foundation-it.com
Mon Feb 17 14:34:08 CET 2003

I'm currently testing Nagios for use in a production environment. I've
just built the 200202132308 CVS version of Nagios and Nagios plugins to
see if it resolves a few issues in 1.0 stable, primarily not being able
to get the statusmap CGI to build at all. For the most part it does
(statusmap.cgi now compiles and runs although, in common with a number
of others, I can't get it to use the graphics I want) but there is one
weird problem.

When a plugin returns a WARNING or CRITICAL state, the service detail
display always shows a CRITICAL error and a message such as "(Return
code of 512 is out of bounds)". If I run the plugin manually (as the
nagios user) with identical parameters, it behaves as expected when
there's a warning/critical situation - displaying a text message and
returning an error code of 1 or 2 or 3. When called by Nagios, this
error code is apparently being multiplied by 256 giving a return code of
256 or 512 or 768 which is interpreted as being out of bounds.

This seems to be happening on all plugins (I've seen it on check_ftp,
check_http, check_nt, check_ntp and check_fping) so I'd say it was to do
with the core code and not the plugin code. Has anybody experienced
anything similar or know how to fix the problem? Failing that, where's a
good place to start looking? :)

I'm going to give 200202171109 a try - I'll obviously post again if that
solves the problem.

Phil