Problem w/dependencies

Stanley.G.Martin at mail.sprint.com Stanley.G.Martin at mail.sprint.com
Fri Feb 14 17:47:08 CET 2003

I'm running 'netsaint_statd' on some AIX servers so that I can monitor
disk space.  There are numerous times that I get alerts about 'No answer
from client'.  I'm assuming it's having problems connecting to the
socket and I'm not surprised since I'm in Kansas City and these servers
are in Dallas (and Sprint's internal network sucks!!!)  Anyway, at the
suggestion of someone on this list, I set up a service that would just
check to see if I could connect to the socket that netsaint_statd is
running on (sort of a heartbeat)      and make all my filesystem
services dependent on this.  So, if the filesystem service checks fail
because of 'No answer from client', isn't it supposed to then check to
see if the heartbeat is OK before I get a notification?

Stanley G. Martin
Sprint - EIS³ Customer Care
Stanley.G.Martin at mail.sprint.com