host notifications (dependency problem?)

Tom DE BLENDE tdeblend at gcc.dhl.com
Wed Feb 12 13:21:27 CET 2003

Dear,

What you are looking for is parent/child host relationships in your
host definitions, not host dependencies.

"parents:
This directive is used to define a comma-delimited list of short names
of the "parent" hosts for this particular host. Parent hosts are
typically routers, switches, firewalls, etc. that lie between the
monitoring host and a remote hosts. A router, switch, etc. which is
closest to the remote host is considered to be that host's "parent".
Read the "Determining Status and Reachability of Network
Hosts" document located here for more information. If this host is on
the same network segment as the host doing the monitoring
(without any intermediate routers, etc.) the host is considered to be
on the local network and will not have a parent host. Leave
this value blank if the host does not have a parent host (i.e. it is
on the same segment as the Nagios host). The order in which you
specify parent hosts has no effect on how things are monitored."