check_snmp errors on CPU

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Tue Feb 11 04:48:35 CET 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Hiatt, William wrote:

> I'm having an issue with the output of the check_snmp plugin, and wanted
> to know if anybody had any tips.
>
> No matter what I do, I can't get a STATE_OK out of the check_snmp
> plugin. When run from the command line:
>
> ./check_snmp -H rtr-ed01.upstanding.com -o 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.58.0 -C
> UPITRO -c 0:85 -w 0:70
>
> I get the following returned:
>
> SNMP WARNING - 0
>
> Maybe I'm not all there today and didn't get the help file right, but as
> I understood it, when specifying the ranges in a MIN:MAX form, that is
> the range that is "OK". So by my command above, that means anything
> within 0:85 will not result in a critical state, and anything within
> 0:70 will not result in a warning state.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> William

A warning state is possible even if you use correct args if there is an
output retured on stderr from snmpget.  The most likely (nay - is) culprit
is that the snmpcmds are loading the MIBs ad are having some parsing
issues.

To eliminate the possiblility of MIB parsing issues, and specially since
you are using numeric OIDs is to add a -m ""  option to prevent loading
the MIB files.  The command will run much faster and any error on stderr
will be a much more substantial error.

--
-sg