Assistance Needed: RH 7.3 w/cpanel

Mon Feb 10 21:48:56 CET 2003

Dear Madam,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and hope you get it sorted
out.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 07:00:32PM +0000, T Mellon wrote:
> I'm in the middle of installing Nagios on a RH 7.3 server with Cpanel (cpanel.net) installed, and I'm slightly confused in what to put in the ./configure line :\  My brain is slightly fizzled right now (long day already ;) ).
>
> I have this for my ./configure line:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/nagios --with-cgiurl=/nagios/cgi-bin
> --with-htmurl=/nagios/ --with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-grp=nagios
>
> And I get:
> --with-htmurl=/nagios/: No such file or directory
>
> What should I put for my htmurl?
>
> I've tried /home/username/public_html/nagios - but that didn't go through (username inserted with hosting account username, etc).
>
> If someone can help me out, that would be great.  I've been up since 4:30 this morning, and my brain is half awake right now :)

Two observations:

1 There are rpms available on the Nag site

2 All the Nag directories should be relative to the --prefix

In my installation, prefix is /usr/local/nagios
                    html      "               "/share
                    cgi       "               "/sbin

But you don't need that since it's the default.

(From your web servers point of view, there are alias and script-alias
definitions so that <your_host>/nagios/ is the same as prefix/share
etc

Setting up apache is where most people have problems).

However, now after reading your letter again, then the remarks above are
either wrong or the -url options to configure are poorly named.

--with-cgiurl=<dir> sets URL for cgi programs (do not use a trailing
slash)
--with-htmurl=<dir> sets URL for public html

I would have to try and read configure to work out what they do but one
thing is certain: they are not going to configure alias directives in
apache, so perhaps they are suffering from bit rot.

After running configure with no options, here is the summary

*** Configuration summary for nagios 1.0 11-24-2002 ***:

 General Options:
 -------------------------
        Nagios executable:  nagios
        Nagios user/group:  nagios,nagios
       Command user/group:  nagios,nagios
            Embedded Perl:  no
        Install ${prefix}:  /usr/local/nagios
                Lock file:  ${prefix}/var/nagios.lock
           Init directory:  /usr/local/etc/rc.d

 Web Interface Options:
 ------------------------
                 HTML URL:  http://localhost/nagios/
                  CGI URL:  http://localhost/nagios/cgi-bin/
 Traceroute (used by WAP):  /usr/sbin/traceroute

 External Data Routines:
 ------------------------
              Status data:  Default (text file)
              Object data:  Template-based (text file)
             Comment data:  Default (text file)
            Downtime data:  Default (text file)
           Retention data:  Default (text file)
          Peformance data:  Default (external commands)
       Extended info data:  Template-based (text file)

Review the options above for accuracy.  If they look okay,
type 'make all' to compile the main program and CGIs.

So, you get the right html and cgi paths (wrt file system _not_ web
server) by default.

The only options I specify to configure are (in my case) those relating
to gd.

HTH.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft