Fwd: Distributed checking

Jason Burnett jason at cannonfodder.org
Fri Feb 7 13:36:46 CET 2003

It's till not working, log excerpt from primary server:
[1044621302]
SERVICE;pinky;HTTP;CRITICAL;1/2;HARD;1044621212;1044621302;ACTIVE;0;1;1;1044350435;0;CRITICAL;0;0;0;109991;0;0;1;0;0;1;0;0.00;0;1;1;1;Connection
refused or timed out

Service definition from primary server:
define service{
    host_name           pinky
    service_description     HTTP
    check_command           check_http
    max_check_attempts      2
    normal_check_interval       50
    retry_check_interval        50
    passive_checks_enabled      1
    active_checks_enabled       0
    check_period            none
    flap_detection_enabled      0
    process_perf_data       1
    retain_status_information   1
    retain_nonstatus_information    1
    notification_interval       1
    notification_period     24x7
    notification_options        w,u,c,r
    notifications_enabled       1
    check_freshness         0
    freshness_threshold     500
    contact_groups          admins
}

Log from passive server:
[1044621346]
SERVICE;pinky;HTTP;OK;1/2;HARD;1044621281;1044621341;ACTIVE;1;1;1;1044465516;0;OK;132731;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;1;0;0.00;0;1;1;1;HTTP
ok: HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization Required -   0.003 second response time

Config from passive server:
define service{
    host_name                       pinky
    service_description             HTTP
    check_command                   check_http
    max_check_attempts              2
    normal_check_interval           1
    retry_check_interval            1
    active_checks_enabled           1
    check_period                    24x7
    flap_detection_enabled          1
    process_perf_data               1
    retain_status_information       1
    retain_nonstatus_information    1
    notification_interval           0
    notification_period             24x7
    notification_options            w,u,c,r
    notifications_enabled           0
}

At this point I am open to try anything. So, does anyone actually have
this working properly?

on Thu Feb 06 Andrew Meredith spoke forth with the blessed manuscript
> This is the same problem I described under:

>   Subject: Distributed Checks
>   Date:    2003-02-04 1512

> In that mail I confirm that if you were to do this, then the server
> would indeed stop performing active checks .. which is what I want, as
> the central server cannot successfully perform the checks from it's IP
> address.

> However, it doesn't then do anything else either.

> I was expecting it to mark the service as unknown or down or somethng,
> it just keeps on displaying the last service status that it received.

> Andy M

> Atul Gosain wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >The problem is simple.
> >U have check_freshness variable set to 1. The effect of this is that
> >whenever the passive service results does not reach nagios for some time
> >(freshness_threshold ), it considers the result as stale and starts
> >checking actively for that service. If u want that active checks are not
> >executed when passive results are stale, then disable check_freshness
> >variable.
> >Just tell me in case ur problem is solved.
> >
> >Thanks
> >Atul
> >
> >Jasmine wrote:

> >>HI all.. i m still having this problem sorry. i thought i made a
> >>config mistake, but that does not solve the problem.

begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
See Microsoft KB Article Q265230 for more information.
end