FW: Nagios to monitor MQSeries

Fri Feb 7 00:06:50 CET 2003

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I wouldn't get too excited about this,

> >>when you install the MQSeries client (with developer
> >>support), you get some sample programs. One of these sample ...

I think the key statement is 'the MQSeries client (with developer
support)'.

MQSeries is a commercial multi-platform product that ships with
different libraries including a developer API for each platform.

I suspect you need these libraries for the scripts to be of any use; the
libraries would have to be installed on the Nag host if you want a local
plugin using that script. Obviously this a problem for Nag hosts that
have no MQ suppport such as FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD.

If you are a MQ Series site and have the appropriate MQ libraries
available and installed on your Nag monitor, then sure, give the script
a crack.

Otherwise, you may do what my employer does (an AIX/MQ site). A DBA
colleague wrote an application using the libraries to send a message to
the the channels of interest that the channel then loops back.  The
application exits after writing a timestamp and an MQ return code
(related to whether or not the mesage came back) into an NFS exported
file that Nag can read (although NCSA would have been an option had I
known of it then).

Or use the IBM script on a host fitted with the libraries in a 'plugin'
that sends the result to Nag in someway, or have Nag execute the script
on that host by SSH.

HTH,

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft