Stange problem checking https

DM nagios.dm at wrhambrecht.com
Mon Feb 3 18:43:43 CET 2003

OK, I downloaded the current CVS tree and built the plugins. Unfortunately, I think the new check_http module ((nagios-plugins 1.3.0-beta2) 1.19 )has a bug in it which prevents the SSL option from working at all:

$ ./check_http -w 5 -c 10 www.verisign.com
HTTP ok: HTTP/1.1 200 OK -   0.354 second response time |time=  0.354

$ ./check_http -w 5 -c 10 --ssl www.verisign.com
Segmentation Fault

gdb ./check_http
(gdb) run -w 5 -c 10 --ssl www.verisign.com
Starting program: /temp/nagios/libexec/./check_http -w 5 -c 10
--ssl www.verisign.com

asprintf (ptr=0x0, format=0x17290 "%s") at snprintf.c:836
836             *ptr = NULL;
(gdb) backtrace
#0  asprintf (ptr=0x0, format=0x17290 "%s") at snprintf.c:836
#1  0x13d80 in connect_SSL () at check_http.c:923
#2  0x13aa0 in check_http () at check_http.c:552
#3  0x1218c in main (argc=168960, argv=0x0) at check_http.c:271
(gdb)

Looks like the connect_SSL function is sending a null pointer to asprintf, making it segfault.

Since I've verified earlier on that check_http is indeed returning the correct value to Nagios,
I don't think the issue here is specifically with the check_http plugin, but rather something
with how Nagios deals with this particular host/service.