NSCA, NRPE+SSL woes

Michael Tucker mtucker at airmail.net
Mon Dec 29 23:43:09 CET 2003

Howdy:

I'm trying to set up nagios for the first time, using a central server,
a distributed server, and hosts which are monitored by the distributed
server. I seem to have everything working except for a couple of things.

  * * *

First, send_nsca -> nsca isn't working at all.

I have verified that nsca.cfg on the central server has
"allowed_hosts={distributed server's hostname}". The central server can
resolve the distributed server's hostname, and it can connect to it
(ping). The submit_check_result shell script on the distributed server
is exactly as indicated in the nagios documentation. There is no
password in either check_nsca.cfg or nsca.cfg, and the
encryption/decryption option is set to "1" (XOR). (I.e., I'm using the
defaults on both ends for now.) All of the files belong to user:group
nagios:nagios, which is the same user and group that owns the nagios
process.

However, the central server never receives any data from the
distributed server. If I attempt to run send_nsca manually, I get the
following result:

> # /usr/bin/echo {arguments} | /usr/local/nagios/bin/send_nsca -H
> {central server's hostname} -c /usr/local/nagios/bin/send_nsca.cfg
> Error: Server closed connection before init packet was received
> Error: Could not read init packet from server

I get the same result whether I run nsca (on the central server) as a
standalone daemon, or through inetd.

If I enable active checks on the central server, it can "see" the
monitored host and reports that it is healthy. If I disable active
checks, wipe out the status log and restart nagios, it reports the
monitored host's status as PENDING (of course, because it never
receives any status report from nsca).

  * * *

Second, check_nrpe -> nrpe doesn't work if I enable SSL. If I disable
SSL, it works fine. But with SSL enabled, I get the following result:
> # ./check_nrpe -H {host to monitor} -c check_load
> CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.

I get the same result whether I run nrpe as a standalone daemon on the
monitored host, or through inetd. For what it's worth, I settled on
running it through inetd with tcp wrappers, since that works fine as
long as SSL is not enabled. I am working around this for now, but any
help in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Michael