Performance Monitoring in Nagios

Scott Elliott selliott at covarity.com
Tue Dec 23 23:04:21 CET 2003

Again, the prerequisite information: nagios 1.1, plug-ins 1.3.1, running
on Debian 3.0

Can anyone point me towards a realistic way of monitoring performance
data and trend-lining with Nagios?  I know that Nagios can do gather
some performance monitoring data (as per
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/perfdata.html), but from what I
see, it leaves it up to you what to do with the data.

The situation that I'm currently in is that I want to watch some
standard performance counters on several Microsoft boxes, like memory
usage, CPU usage, free disk space, etc, and then trend it over time.
While it is nice to know that, for example, I'm still below on my disk
space warning value at any one particular snapshot, but it would be even
more valuable to compile those snapshots and watch the disk consumption
over time, and then possibly trend-line the data.

I know that there is the "Trends" reports within Nagios, but it doesn't
quite fit the bill as I need to know more than for how long is the
service "ok" versus "warning" versus "critical".

Again, the Nagios documentation alluded to doing something like what I
mentioned above (the doc says "you could setup an occassional cron job
to process the entries in those files, squash them using rrdtool, dump
them into a database, produce graphs, whatever..."), yet did not come
out and say "to make your life easy, I recommend using the XYZ package."

Does anyone have any experience in this, and would be willing to share
their knowledge with me? Unfortunately, just "whipping up an app" to do
this isn't plausible as my programming/scripting abilities are just
slightly better than Forest Gump's.

Scott Elliott