Premature end of headers with user-supplied coods and statusmap.cgi

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Tue Dec 23 19:31:47 CET 2003

Nagios 1.1 on a Red Hat 7.3 box.  Lots of hosts, so I wanted to switch to
user-supplied coords to prevent the overlaps in circular markup.

So I defined 2d_coords for each host, x and y values range from 0 to 400
(all integers) with no two hosts having the same co-ordinate pairs.  E.g.,

    2d_coords        200,0

Since I saw some examples on the mailing list with a space after the comma
I have tried this both ways where the is no space after the comma for
any host and where there is always a space after the comma. Same result.

When I select the user-supplied coords layout I get a 500 internal server
error.  Theerror log says "premature end of script errors" (that's the only
error log entry associated with the problem) which usually means that
statusmap.cgi has blurted something to STDOUT or STDERR before the end of
the MIME headers.

So I tried running it from the command-line and learned I had to set
REQUEST_METHOD to GET and QUERY_STRING as appropriate.  Which I did.
To my surprise, the appropriate headers were output correctly and so
was some of the HTML, going a little beyond the <body> tag.  The
last line output is as follows (except I've wrapped the line where
there was a blank space present):

   hidden"></div>

And after that line is output there is a segmentation fault.  With no
clues as to why.

I've seen a couple of other reports of problems with user-supplied coords
but I've not seen any answers.  However, the other reports did not mention
the segmentation fault, so perhaps that will give somebody a clue.

In the meantime, I'll have to live with balanced tree layout, which would
actually be much better than the hassle of user-supplied co-ords but for
one thing.  With the number of hosts I'm monitoring, there's a lot of
sideways scrolling involved.  Rotating the coords by 90 degrees would
convert that to vertical scrolling (at the minute I have some hosts
that are gr5andchildren but it goes no deeper so I won't get sideways
scrolling).  Vertical scrolling is a lot easier: you can use the arrow
keys; you can use the page-up/down keys; you can use the mousewheel if
you want to develop carpal tunnel syndrome; if you're a real masochist you
can even click on the scrollbars.  Sideways scrolling is a pain because
you don't have the equivalent of page-up/down keys.

So would anyone else be in favour of a feature request to rotate (possibly
as an option) the output of the tree layouts?

Note that every other layout method works perfectly.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support