Newbie question: Check_http problem

Scott Elliott selliott at covarity.com
Mon Dec 22 21:24:04 CET 2003

This is my first venture into the Nagios world, and so far I've managed
to install Nagios 1.1, using the 1.3.1 plug-ins, and running on a Debian
3.0 box.

As expected, I haven't gotten everything to work on my first try, but I
have managed to configure the software to a point such that I can do a
simple ping check on four boxes, and for it to send out notifications if
it detects anything wrong.

My problem is that it seems that Nagios is return a "service down" when
doing check_http request.  I've look at the checkcommands.cfg file, and
it is the default definition:

# 'check_http' command definition

define command{

        command_name    check_http

        command_line    $USER1$/check_http -H $HOSTADDRESS$

        }

When I run check_http from the command line, using the same options as
listed in the check_http, is says HTTP is ok. I've tried both the
hostname, host ip address, and the url, all of which seem to come
through just fine.

Can somebody point me the right direction to go on this one?

Scott Elliott