Trouble ticket integration

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Thu Dec 18 15:59:34 CET 2003

Phillip.Wilson at gwinnettcounty.com wrote:

> Jim,
> Thanks for the input.  I received one other email indicating the same
> thing, so I guess I'm on my own in terms of having to write my own
> integration (and I was so hoping that someone else has already done it
> like so many other plug-ins/etc.).
> One thing I haven't figured out is this: does/can Nagios assign some
> type of unique "message id" to each message?  The reason I need to know
> is that I need to be able to UNIQUELY correlate a unique Nagios event
> and to a unique HEAT ticket.
>

> You may want to check out external commands submission, Al Tobey's
> module on CPAN would probably help, but you would need to roll your own.
>
> Jim

Sorry, I didn't really mean to reply off list, just realised I only
replied to you.

I'm not aware of any unique message ID. For instance one can be notified
about the same service problem repeatedly depending upon the service
definition, these are just notifications.

The unique key is really host and service name, and one can change its
state e.g. pass an external event to make a web service appear in an up
state. Your integration could consist of your help desk system having
fields for host and service populated automatically by Nagios. Once the
ticket is closed a command can set the status to OK in Nagios based on
this. However, as Nagios will be checking the service at intervals you
define this may not be worth while, it will detect soon enough all is OK.

You might be better off customising the Nagios and/or trouble ticket
system interfaces, so for instance you could view all open tickets for a
Nagios host (assuming your ticketing system is based on inventory or has
a host/service field that ties up) from the Nagios interface. Then
passing TT updates as Nagios notes wouldn't be needed.

Jim