Newbie question...which plugins to use?

Steve Gilbert SGilbert at nvidia.com
Wed Dec 17 19:10:17 CET 2003

I've got a couple of questions about the various plugin choices that are
available...

Is there any benefit to using check_fping over check_ping?  My understanding
(which may be wrong) is that the only difference in ping and fping is that
fping can ping a list of machines in parallel.  That seems great, but I
don't see how this helps with the check_fping plugin, since it's only going
to work on one host, anyway.

Also...why do we have both check_dns and check_dig?  From my perspective,
check_dns looks like the superior check since you can supply an address that
you expect to be returned.  Is there a reason to have them both, or is
check_dig just left for historical reasons?

Finally...looks like the first plugin that I will be writing myself will be
something to check that NIS servers are working...unless someone has already
done this, and I'm not finding it.  Is there a check_nis out there somewhere
before I reinvent the wheel?  :-)

Thanks!

Steve Gilbert
Unix Systems Administrator