Newbie - Using groups

Jackson Chris-JCKC001 JCKC001 at motorola.com
Thu Dec 18 12:57:11 CET 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to set-up Nagios on a small number of machines before we decide whether to increase the number of systems we watch.  I'm slightly confused by the use of groups in the configuration files.

I'm currently trying to set-up services.cfg and it seems quite inefficient.  The sample file appears to call checks in seperate statements, for the same machine.  This means if you want to run 14 checks on 1 machine you have to write 14 "define service" statements.  If I then have 12 machines to run those on, surely the services.cfg file beomes huge!

I'm trying to get my head around the use of groups... is it possible to write a check list for a group rather than a host meaning that I only have to write my "define service" statements once.  Meaning the start of the statement would appear:
        define service {
            group_name       linux-servers

Rather than:
        define service {
            host_name        linuxserver1

It would make sense for this to be possible but as I'm new to the software I'm not sure how to acheive this.  Also is the same true for dependencies?  Can I make groups of machines dependent on 1 host instead of writing dependencies for every machine?

Any help and assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Chris Jackson