Generating nagios configs from LDAP, nmap, and traceroute

Matt Pounsett matt.pounsett at cira.ca
Wed Dec 17 22:08:14 CET 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Al Tobey wrote:

> I find that manually managing the configuration files is really less
> work than you'd think.  Once I set up a shell script to automatically
> check the configurations out of CVS and bounce Nagios, the workload for
> maintaining those configuration files has been minimal.  The only
> downside is that it's harder to delegate administration of some servers,
> for example to our DBA's.

I've found the same thing -- I wound up creating one file per host, sorted
into directories based on install site, and put services in the files with the
hosts.  Manual maintenance has been pretty easy doing things that way, except
for the issue of getting non-sysadmins to maintain the configs.  Sticking with
the DBA example... I'm currently taking the position that the DBAs are
responsible for scheduling downtime, acknowledging notifications, etc.. but
that if they make major changes which require a Nagios config change, they
copy the sysadmins who will reflect the change in Nagios.

Maybe one day I'll invest the time to train the programmers and DBAs on
maintaining the config files, and then work out the right CVS rules to only
allow them to modify their files.. but for now that is more work than
maintaining the configs on their behalf.

--
Matt Pounsett                 CIRA - Canadian Internet Registration Authority
Technical Support Programmer                    350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110