Generating nagios configs from LDAP, nmap, and traceroute

Al Tobey tobeya at tobert.org
Wed Dec 17 17:33:03 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 10:14, jeff vier wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 08:34, Luke A. Kanies wrote:
> > > Have you seen nagmin or similar? It might pay to check these out before
> > > making such a sweeping statement. I'd imagine most people quickly move
> > > to generating config files in some way fairly quickly.
> > That was kind of my point:  I wasn't aware of any popular config
> > generation tools, but I didn't quite believe (i.e., was incredulous) that
> > everyone was doing it manually.
> >
> > I'll have to look more closely at nagmin.  Thanks.
>
> I do mine manually.  tried nagmin, hated it (i found it's like using a
> WYSIWYG HTML editor - sure, it *mostly* works, but the end result isn't
> pretty).
>
> I've written a lot of scripts to do things like gen apan config entries
> and push extinfo and such.  But hosts.cfg and hostgroups.cfg and
> services.cfg (etc) are all by hand.
>
> I watch 247 hosts and 1111 services (and counting).

I find that manually managing the configuration files is really less
work than you'd think.  Once I set up a shell script to automatically
check the configurations out of CVS and bounce Nagios, the workload for
maintaining those configuration files has been minimal.  The only
downside is that it's harder to delegate administration of some servers,
for example to our DBA's.

Al Tobey <tobeya at tobert.org>
tobert.org