Nagios won't start - could not find status.log, errors on /proc filesystem

Luke Rosenthal lists at luko.org
Mon Dec 15 02:25:26 CET 2003

Hi,

I'm having problems starting Nagios after shutting it down for a weekend
while our monitoring link was shut down.  When I try to start it up, I get
the following error:

NAGIOS CRITICAL - could not find status log: /var/log/nagios/status.log

If I run a nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg, there are no warnings or
errors in my config.  It's been running fine with no problems on RH73 for
a few months now.  I made some small config tweaks while it was shut down
but nothing major.

Oh, one other strange problem: if I rename my status.sav to become
status.log and try to start nagios, I get the following error:

NAGIOS CRITICAL - could not find proc file: /proc/29069

The number changes with each invocation of Nagios.  Nagios bails out at
this point and won't start.  Most peculiar.

Any clues?

Luke.