SNMP agents versus Nagios agents

Larry Crowder CrowderLG at ldschurch.org
Fri Dec 12 16:45:06 CET 2003

Thanks to Thornton Prime for insights into SNMP security and reindexing issues.  One further clarification about reindexing though if you don't mind.

It seems that you do agree that the SNMP table for a device can reindex with a reboot or change to certain system configuration (hard drives etc).  This would force me to reconfigure the Services.cfg file of Nagios to conform to that right?  This seems like a big task for a changing environment with lots of servers (400+) like mine.  My real question is wouldn't most of this be avoided if I use the Nagios agents such as Nsclient, MRTGEXT.NLM and those for UNIX which use logical names for these same system objects (disks, RAM, CPU)?

>  My original quesion about SNMP tables reindexing >

> 2) Object IDs can reindex when a server reboots, resulting in having to
> reconfigure Nagios (which also happens when new devices are added)

> Thornton's answer below >

>This will normally only happen within the context of a SNMP table, and
>the tables are designed to make it easy to find a piece of information
>even when a row has been added, removed or re-ordered because the system
>has been reconfigured. For example, hrStorageTable is no harder or
>easier to parse than the output of "df", and you run the same level of
>risk from re-ordering if you added or removed volumes, or changed your
>mount order. ifTable is much easier to parse than the output of ifconfig.

Thanks again!

Larry C

This message may contain confidential information, and is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.