SNMP agents versus Nagios agents

Thornton Prime thornton at yoyoweb.com
Fri Dec 12 07:24:30 CET 2003

> 1) SNMP v1 and v2 have several known security issues (clear text
> community strings, buffer overflow, patches etc)

I'd argue that the history of SNMP vulnerabilities is no worse than
Sendmail, Bind, or even Apache. The risks of clear text community
strings can be managed with ACLs or firewalls, and SNMP v3 has USM with
stronger authentication and encryption methods.

The real problem with SNMP has historically been under-configuration and
under-administration. Devices have shipped with obvious default read and
write community strings or with other security vulnerabilities, and
administrators haven't bothered to patch and/or configure their SNMP
securely.

> 2) Object IDs can reindex when a server reboots, resulting in having to
> reconfigure Nagios (which also happens when new devices are added)

This will normally only happen within the context of a SNMP table, and
the tables are designed to make it easy to find a piece of information
even when a row has been added, removed or re-ordered because the system
has been reconfigured. For example, hrStorageTable is no harder or
easier to parse than the output of "df", and you run the same level of
risk from re-ordering if you added or removed volumes, or changed your
mount order. ifTable is much easier to parse than the output of ifconfig.

thornton