SNMP agents versus Nagios agents

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Thu Dec 11 21:33:12 CET 2003

MT Morales wrote:

>I totally agree with Jim on Nagios agents on servers, however you
>still need to the depend on snmp agents for monitoring network devices,
>as snmp seems to be the de facto protocol for management on most networking
>equipment (switches, routers, bridges, etc). Fortunately, the Nagios server
>can handle snmp traps/queries as well.
>But ya, you'll depend on snmp agents to monitor other devices that are not
>servers, and come with management support over IP.

One thing we've found to be more useful than SNMP polling in some cases
is processing the syslog messages from the network devices and putting
them into Nagios as passive checks, as this can provide info not found
in the MIBs. We also perform some checks by telneting to the network
devices, issuing commands and processing the output. Again this can
provide information/checks that are not in the MIB.

Jim