SNMP agents versus Nagios agents

MT Morales nagios at pensol.net
Thu Dec 11 21:17:59 CET 2003

I totally agree with Jim on Nagios agents on servers, however you
still need to the depend on snmp agents for monitoring network devices,
as snmp seems to be the de facto protocol for management on most networking
equipment (switches, routers, bridges, etc). Fortunately, the Nagios server
can handle snmp traps/queries as well.
But ya, you'll depend on snmp agents to monitor other devices that are not
servers, and come with management support over IP.

-Tomas