18000 services to check and Nagios just sits and waits.

martin at idefix.net martin at idefix.net
Wed Dec 10 10:55:09 CET 2003

Hi all,

I'm trying to convince Nagios it should perform very aggressively
but somehow it won't work.
When reading the documentation it states everywhere that Nagios
will consume all CPU power you throw at it if you don't take care.
Well, with me it doesn't and I really want it to.

The situation:
- All our machines send some email to the Nagios server which
  we put in files and wrote a plugin to check those files.

- There are a lot of machines (almost 900) and we want to do a lot
  of checks (18000).

- To make it worse, we forced Nagios to use MySQL for the service_status
  and host_status data (as we created our own frontend and use MySQL as
  the interface).

To make sure Nagios will be able to abuse the hardware as much as it can
we threw in a dual xeon 3 GHz machine with 2GB memory and some 15k RPM
SCSI disks. To make it better, Linux understands hyperthreading and
makes it a total of 4 CPU's.
To prevent MySQL to abuse the arraycontroller to much we make the
service_status and host_status tables HEAP so they only use memory.

I would assume that Nagios would at least try to fork something like
40 to 100 processes and would consume at least one CPU but it doesn't.
It won't abuse the memory either as there is about 1GB of memory left.

It only seems to be sitting there with 4 to 6 proccesses and allowing
the latency to go up and up like there's no tomorrow. Or at least there
won't be any checks tomorrow.

We've tried both the smart Nagios options as the dumb options and
event tried to think ourselves and calculating the right configvalues
but nothing seems to work.

So, if anyone has a clue, please share it with me. :)
Thanks so far,
Martin

--
Tin will not rust or give in but melts directly when heated =B-)