Incredible amount of false positives

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Dec 8 18:13:48 CET 2003

Since we don't have any configuration information to go on, it's going
to be difficult to troubleshoot possible config issues. Looking at the
machines themselves, what is load like on them? Are they doing other
work besides Nagios (specifically the 233 Mhz machine)? It's been my
experience that if load is high for a ping check for example the check
executes and even if the ping returns in 10ms, if the plugin has to wait
1000ms for CPU time, your ping response is going to be 1000ms (because
the plugin is just now able to process the response). Do you find that
one machine is generating more false positives than another? What
exactly is the false positive output of the plugin (plugin timeout? Host
unreachable? Response above critical threshold?, etc...) How about your
network? Do you have speed and duplex hardcoded on all the machines and
the switch(es) they are connected to? Speed/Duplex mismatch can be the
cause a quite a number of odd issues. Do you maybe have multiple copies
of nagios running on a box? This is less likely as a cause but some of
your indications below hint at it.

With just 53 checks I would think that using a ramdisk for storage
wouldn't make any difference performance wise and may actually be
hurting you, expecially the machines with just 128 megs of ram. You're
likely forcing the use of more (much slower) swap space than you
normally would.

If none of the above help you then the more, and more specific
information you can provide will help us help you.