Passive checks with NSCA

Colin A. White colin at trematon.com
Thu Dec 4 20:14:56 CET 2003

I have set the same password and decrypt method=1  in both nsca.cfg and
send_nsca.cfg.

For testing, I also entered the currently assigned dynamic IP address of
the remote host running send_nsca to allowed_hosts in nsca.cfg on the
nagios host (though this isn't going to work for me long term)

I set nsca.cfg debug=1 and can see the debug entries in my
/var/adm/messages (yes, I'm running Solaris on the nagios end)

> Dec  4 18:47:51 falun nsca[9868]: [ID 601491 daemon.notice] Starting
> up daemon
> Dec  4 18:48:14 falun nsca[9868]: [ID 862360 daemon.error] End of
> connection...

The 2nd entry appears when I attempt to run send_nsca which eventuall
ends with :

> Error: Timeout after 10 seconds

Not exactly detailed/verbose error messages to work with...

Can anyone suggest what's happening here?

Thks

Colin