Nagios hosts showing as down

Heylin, Alex AHeylin at WeberShandwick.com
Wed Dec 3 14:17:15 CET 2003

You might find that the "port" entry for the check_tcp check is missing,
that has caused this here.  As you're using check_http it should be port 80,
being the HTTP port.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction.

Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew.Quinney at hollandandholland.com
[mailto:Matthew.Quinney at hollandandholland.com]
Sent: 03 December 2003 09:22
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net; nagios-plugs at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] Nagios hosts showing as down

Dear All,

I have a strange problem with Nagios V1.1 using the plugins from v1.3.1.

I have a remote router which ordinarily is checked by 'check_http' every x
minutes. In some cases the check fails (ADSL) so Nagios will then run the
host check command 'check_tcp'. However in some cases this fails and just
leaves the error message 'check_tcp: unknown argument (null). The majority
of the time though this check runs just fine.

My questions is therefore, what am I doing wrong ? I have been running
Nagios for some time (great stuff Ethan) and this has only cropped up in the
last few months. If anybody has seen this, or can help I would appreciate it
greatly.

Many thanks

Matthew