Newbie : Nagios Alerts and email mta!

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Wed Dec 3 13:07:42 CET 2003

Tom.Corcoran at meridianp2p.com wrote:

>Hi
>
>As a newbie I have managed to setup Nagios on RH8 OK, howevere I am not
>familiar with sendmail or any other linux based email mta, we have a
>windows email server on another host. Can someone direct me to the simplest
>solution to forwarding email alerts to my mail server ?

This would work for me on Solaris so YMMV on RH8.

If you have a sendmail.cf try editing it and finding the DS setting. Put
the hostname you want to forward email to after this:

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSmail.example.com

This will send all your email to the smarthost. Obviously the windows
server needs to talk smtp.

If this doesn't seem OK for you on redhat try google for something like
"redhat sendmail smarthost" to configure sendmail to forward all email
to a specific server.

Jim