Status Map Showing "Nagios Process"

David Olbersen DOlbersen at stbernard.com
Wed Dec 3 00:17:08 CET 2003

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> Nagios, however, is not the root of the world.  Therefore, I think it
> should have an idea of where its place is in the world it is monitoring.
>
> Right now, a normal status map shows something like

>               / | \
>              a  b  c
>
> whereas reality may be:

>               / | \
>              a  b  c
>                     \

It looks like you're trying to turn the status map into a network diagramming tool -- don't do that. The relationships shown in the status map are used to control when notifications are sent out, not to diagram your network topology.

In your second diagram, if B goes down then Nagios thinks it can still talk to c. If this is the case then your parents are incorrect. If this is not the case then Nagios is doing what it should: it'll tell you that B is down, and not mention that a, b, and c are down too (because they're children of B). This is the desired and intended behavior.

--
David Olbersen
iGuard Engineer