linux syslog server X Nagios

Carroll, Jim P [PCS] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Aug 26 22:16:54 CEST 2003

I think this question needs to be rephrased.  Let me attempt a couple
variations:

Q1: Out of the box, can Nagios produce graphical reports based on any
    sort of syslog output?

A1: Not as far as I know.  (If you discover otherwise, let me know, as
    I would be both curious and interested in such a solution.)

Or, maybe you meant something slightly different:

Q2: Can Nagios be tweaked, with the help of some programming and
    addition of something useful like RRDTool, to produce some
    graphical reports?

A2: Yes.  Let us know when you've finished writing this.  ;)

Out of curiosity, what sort of graphical output were you looking for?
Did you want it to create and constantly update a table which reports
on the number of times each 'bucket' (however you care to define that)
gets a 'hit'?  If by 'graphic' you were thinking of RRDTool, I'm not
quite sure how you'd represent non-numeric values.  Or what numeric
values you'd be trying to track which cannot be had with the currently
available plugins.

Keep in mind that syslog output can contain pretty much
any string, so if you didn't have a template to build from, you would
have to create your own template and add strings to report on.  This
carries the risk that you may end up reporting on something you weren't
interested in, or overlooking something you're interested in.  Over
time, there would be some convergence towards what you would consider
to be 'satisfactory' reporting.

As an alternative or adjunct to what you're trying to accomplish, you
might want to check otu Epylog:

http://linux.duke.edu/projects/epylog/

Food for thought.  Hope this helps.

jc