Nagios client? question.

Marco Ciullini marco.ciullini at datamar.it
Mon Aug 25 08:33:30 CEST 2003

nrpe and nsca are your friends.

Nrpe (Nagios remote plugin executor) is a server that runs on the remote
machine you want to monitor: the nagios server tells nrpe to execute the
checks...
Nsca (Nagios Service Check Acceptor) is a server that runs on the nagios
machine, and accepts "Passive services results" sent by remote hosts.
It's very useful when the host you have to monitor is behind a firewall,
and NRPE could not be reached.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/addons.html#nrpe
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/addons.html#nsca

Bye

Christian Purnomo ha scritto:
> HI folks
>
> I'm 1 day old in using Nagios.  I have been previously using Big Brother
> monitoring and quite happy with that.  I recently decided to look around and
> found Nagios, I notice there are quite a few of features that I like from
> Nagios that I'm lacking with big brother (I haven't upgraded my BB for a while,
> BB team may have added more features that I'm not aware of).
>
> I have a question about the way nagios external plugin, since I can't see nagios runs a client side on remote server, I wonder how I can monitor such services on a remote server, which service is only connect-able from the machine itself, hence no remote type connection.
>
> Let's take a remote server running mysql database running with
> --bind-address=127.0.0.1 , how can I monitor this mysql database from a
> seperate nagios server? I can use 'ssh' to login into the remote server and
> perform some tests.  Is this how you do it?
>
> With big brother, since big brother has a client end, all I need to do is to
> write a module for that server, this module will talk to the BB client on the
> remote server, the client program will then talk to the BB main server.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Christian.

Marco Ciullini

Datamar s.r.l.
Via Corsica 9/4 E
16128 Genova
tel +39 0105705806
fax +39 0105451440
http://www.datamar.it
mailto:marco.ciullini at datamar.it

Please avoid sending me Word, Excel or PowerPoint attachments.