Any way to monitor processes via rsh?

Johnathan Huettner j_huettner at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 16 00:38:47 CEST 2003

   Greetings, does anyone know if it's possible to monitor a UNIX process
via rsh from Nagios?  My company has a legacy Data General machine running
DG/UX.  Obviously I'd prefer to use NRPE but this machine is very old and
plays a critical role for our company.  I know rsh isn't secure, but trying
to compile or run other processes on this box is too risky for us or our
customers.  Compiling something is not in the picture.
   What I'm looking to do is monitor a process in which the PID may change.
I simply want to run something like rsh -l nagios system_name "ps -ef | grep
process_name" on my Nagios server and have it alert me if the process fails.
  Is there a way to accomplish this?