Urgent: nagios + apan memory chewing up

Fri Aug 15 15:48:10 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 09:26:38AM -0400, Chet Luther wrote:
> Stanley,
>     I am still running netsaint-plugins-1.2.9-4 under nagios-1.0b6.  My
> analysis wasn't in depth.  I just noticed that my Nagios process would grow
> to upwards of 200mb after a couple of weeks.  When I disabled the perl cache
> and embedded perl support, I no longer had the problem.

Some of the 1.2.9-4 (these are the ones that I am mainly using) were
definitely b0rked for epN. The only one I recall now is check_rpc (too
broken to even run since it used __DATA__ for the RPC program names)

>     I once had the same problem with a mod_perl enabled Apache, and it
> turned out that I had just been putting too much stuff in the global
> namespace.  As far as I'm aware, mod_perl uses the same "put each script in
> its own package" approach.

>     I would guess (usually meaning I'm wrong) that Ali has less RAM/Swap
> than you, which is why his memory usage could exhibit more severe problems
> than yours.  Personally I am running with 1GB of RAM plus twice that much
> swap, so I didn't have the serious problems that Ali is reporting either.

The FreeBSD scheduler obligingly starts killing processes (largest RSS
first) in such chases.

>     Another thing to take into consideration is that he is using APAN.  I
> haven't tried it myself, but I think I read that it uses it's own
> uber-plugin to do everything.  Could it be possible that it isn't ePN safe?

Many people say that it is far too easy to write unsafe unreliable Perl
for applications that embed Perl interpreters (mod_perl and friends).

Apparently, the state of the art for mod_perl is to have mod_perl
enabled apache on another port to your static page apache so that the
mod_perl beast can be restarted periodically.

Actually, apart from being sure that the plugins run and work Ok, I am
not sure how to be confident that they are working correctly.

>     I suppose I'm overdue for an upgrade.  I'll compile the latest version
> of Nagios/Plugins with ePN/cache enabled sometime today, and see if I still
> have the same issues.

Unfortunately, that may not help too much. You probably want to go to
the 1.x series for the usual reasons, but the ePN stuff has been
largely unchanged apart from

 . peripheral changes for threaded Perls - this may only be in the CVS

 . changes to do with quoted args to plugins (and this may have been in
your version).

> Chet Luther
> chet at rcn.com

Yours sincerely.