Urgent: nagios + apan memory chewing up

Chet Luther chet at rcn.com
Fri Aug 15 15:26:38 CEST 2003

Stanley,
    I am still running netsaint-plugins-1.2.9-4 under nagios-1.0b6.  My
analysis wasn't in depth.  I just noticed that my Nagios process would grow
to upwards of 200mb after a couple of weeks.  When I disabled the perl cache
and embedded perl support, I no longer had the problem.
    I once had the same problem with a mod_perl enabled Apache, and it
turned out that I had just been putting too much stuff in the global
namespace.  As far as I'm aware, mod_perl uses the same "put each script in
its own package" approach.
    I would guess (usually meaning I'm wrong) that Ali has less RAM/Swap
than you, which is why his memory usage could exhibit more severe problems
than yours.  Personally I am running with 1GB of RAM plus twice that much
swap, so I didn't have the serious problems that Ali is reporting either.
    Another thing to take into consideration is that he is using APAN.  I
haven't tried it myself, but I think I read that it uses it's own
uber-plugin to do everything.  Could it be possible that it isn't ePN safe?
    I suppose I'm overdue for an upgrade.  I'll compile the latest version
of Nagios/Plugins with ePN/cache enabled sometime today, and see if I still
have the same issues.

Chet Luther
chet at rcn.com