Nagios keeping track of OS type.

Scott Zawalski scott.zawalski at web.de
Tue Aug 12 11:53:02 CEST 2003

I am looking for a easy way of keeping track of OS Version/Type in Nagios (Maybe a variable I can update in the host definition) without having to put the actual OS Name/Type in the Hostname or in any check description.

Also while very useful the $USER1$ variables are not exactly the most descriptive variables is there any option to rename them? Since those do work in service/host notifications this could be an answer. However, I would like to have some what of a description in the variable :)

Thanks