two problems

jlm17 jlm17 at lucent.com
Fri Aug 8 17:16:00 CEST 2003

I'm have two problems with Nagios (so far).

First, I can't get external commands to work. I've followed the step-by-step
instructions for setting up a group, and setting the permissions for
/usr/local/nagios/var/rw. These instructions did not say what to do after this
for creating the file nagios.cmd inside the rw directory. I made an assumption
and just created an empty file with open permissions (664) and ownership
nagios.nagiocmd. When I go to execute an external command. The web page claims
that is went through successfully. I look and the command is in the nagios.cmd
file. However, it never gets executed. nagios.cfg shows
check_external_commands=1 and command_check_interval=-1. What else must I do to
get external commands to work?

Second, one of four servers that are down is sending notification to me once
every two hours. The other three never send notification, even on a reload. The
host info for each machine is identical (except name of course). How do I make
sure all hosts that go down send a notification to me?

Thanks for any help.