Feature Req: Sticky and fine grained service definition

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Sat Aug 2 09:12:41 CEST 2003

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 09:48:16 +0100, Rob Fielding <rob at dsvr.net>
said:

> Whereas you can set-up checks which are essentially on or off (or
> good or bad) I'd like to be able to check on if A happens, then B
> must happen an some time period later - and if B doesn't happen we
> get a WARNING going up to ALERT.

I do exactly this, with the exception that the ALERT occurs on a
separate service from either service A or B. I use SEC (simple event
correlator) to submit passive commands to nagios.  Search for SEC in
the archives of nagios-users and nagios-develop for a description of
using SEC with passive services. You don't need to apply any patches
to nagios for SEC and nagios with passive services.

> What I have is a suite of scripts which run throughout the day and I
> want to check they run ok, and don't bomb out or cause trapable
> error conditions. There could be an infinite number of these scripts
> and they all run multiple times a day - some for seconds, some for
> hours. All scripts have some common features as they are written
> within the same framework but all can be uniquely identifiable.

I created a single service for my scripts to report to. Then the
reports are sent to sec first for correlation, then forwarded to
nagios if the correlation rule requires a report.

> What I'm thinking is submit a passive command via NSCA at script
> start and a passive command at script end. If the second event
> doesn't arrive within X period, we trigger an active check which
> could attempt to determin if the script is still running or not via
> NRPE and start raising warnings.

That would work, but you would want the NSCA to forward to sec. I use
ssh with a captive public key and a perl script rather than NSCA to
submit passive checks from tools like tkwatcher, or other self written
scripts.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard