Host w/o services are no longer doing check-alive-tests

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Tue Apr 29 17:28:13 CEST 2003

You may have found a bug but it's not the bug you're hoping for. Nagios
is primarily a service monitor. Host checks should not be executed at
all unless a service check for that host fails. If a host has no
services defined then it should never be checked. The parenting aspect
_might_ throw in a weird loophole in that logic but it certainly should
not be counted on.

For your router example (I monitor about 1700 of them), define a
host-check of just 1 ping and a service check of 10 pings or whatever
you feel comfortable with.

Did you ever have services defined for those hosts that were previously
showing as up? Do you have retain_state_information enabled? That
combination might explain why they had an OK status as opposed to
PENDING.

--
Marc

*Please reply to the list.