Host w/o services are no longer doing check-alive-tests

Ralf Mellis testrm at kisters.com
Tue Apr 29 17:13:03 CEST 2003

Hi, I'm using nagios 1.0 with plugins 1.3 on a linux host.
I have several hosts and services set up successfully.
The only drawback: I have some hosts with no services associated yet
(routers), they have only a "check_command check-host-alive" in their
host definition (defined as "command_line $USER1$/check_ping -H
$HOSTADDRESS$ -w 3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -p 1").
In the beginning (one week ago) all hosts were regularly checked with
this command and reported as "UP" in the web gui. Since yesterday these
hosts still are reported as "UP", but the last checks are executed the
last time many hours in the past (up to 30h). In addition three newly
defined hosts without services are in state "pending" since definition
and reload/restart of the nagios process.
All other defined hosts with associated services are checked in the
intervals defined in their host definition.
The changes I made in the last time were setting up "parents"
definitions accordingly to my network layout. I have checked these
definitions over and over and IMHO they seem to be OK ("nagios -v
nagios.cfg" only gives some warnings regarding having hosts with no
services associated).
In addition the status map is showing exactly what I wanted to define.

Do one have to define services for each host defined? I can't believe
this, because a router in my opinion is fully functional (at least in
the first step), if it is "alive" (reachable via ping).

Hmm...

Regards

--
Ralf Mellis