Host/Service check scheduling

Denise Sandell dsandell at voyager.net
Tue Apr 29 02:05:26 CEST 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Ethan Galstad wrote:

> Host checks are performed when:
>
> 1) A service changes state

Right, but this is intended to be a soft state, correct?

> 2) A service is first checked and is found to be OK (if aggressive
> checking is on)
> 3) A service is checked and remains in a non-OK state (if aggressive
> checking is on)
>
> They may also occur if an upstream or downstream host changes state.
> In this case, host checks might be propagated up and down the
> parenting tree to see if the states of other hosts have changed.
>
> Based on your description, you need to choose another method of
> checking your host.  If 5 consecutive host checks are failing and the
> host is really up, something needs to be reconfigured.  IMHO, a 50
> second failure for a host check should indicate that there's some
> kind of problem.

The case where the host check failed for 5 consecutive attempts
was correct, it _should_ have failed because of a soft service state
change (and did).  The inference made to the host staying up was
upon completely disabling the host check_command for that particular
host.

The desired function I want is not to receive host notifications
for things down under 5 minutes -- which to me means I need to increase
the normal_check_interval for my services on said host, thereby decreasing
the possibility of a service changing state within that period of time.